Archive for the 'Mordheim Buildings' Category
How to keep dice from getting stuck in a funnel
While creating my Mordheim Dice Tower, I ran into a small problem. Since I wanted my dice tower to look like a normal Mordheim Building, and not look like a dice tower, I had to make my Dice Tower’s exit hole the size of a normal 28mm door. This presented a problem, because only one dice at a time would be able to exit the dice tower at once.
You can see in the next picture the final ramp/funnel, and how thin it gets before dice “exit the building.”
After hours of testing and fiddling with my ramps, I came up with a very simple solution to keep dice from getting stuck in my dice tower. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get any good pictures of what I created, so I will demonstrate below. Read the Rest of the Post >
I got in a new computer the other day from Dell, and it came surrounded by two large sections of packing foam. Each section is 21″x18″x3.5″ and almost completely flat on 5 sides. These will act as a perfect raised part of Mordheim, and when placed on the (48″x48″) battlefield, they will take up less than 1/4th of the playing area.
(A couple Orcs and Goblins and my Collapsed Mordheim Tower for Scale)
These are perfect because they don’t take up too much of the playing field, but can add some great elevation to a Mordheim board. My plan is to cut four sets of stairs into each section of foam so any warband will be able to access the “high road”, and make the edges look like they were built with bricks and large stones. I will be texturing the top section, and then leaving it empty so each new battle can have different Mordheim buildings/terrain on it.
Hopefully more on this project soon,
The Terragenasis competition ended last night, and I just barely took home 2nd place.
1st place went to DragonFlies7033, who created a huge castle that doubled as a DM screen so he, as a Dungeon Master, can keep all his “tricks” hidden from the players. It came out amazingly.
I got 2nd Place, beating out 3rd place by 1 vote.
3rd place went to GeoLinna’s Clock/Dice Tower, which came out amazing.
On another note, I posted some pictures of my dice tower on Board Game Geek, and as of right now, I have three images on the home page! I don’t even believe it.
Thanks to everyone who voted for my dice tower in the competition and to those who thumbed my Dice Tower images on BGG.
Welcome to (Mordheim Dice Tower) “Roll Inn”!
The most comfortable beds this side of the City of the Damned;).
Here’s a video of the Dice rolling though my newly completed Mordheim Dice Tower, named “Roll Inn”:
(If you look closely, you can see the dice as they roll past the gaping hole in the roof.)
I’ll be posting my final post soon.
Since this competition is ending on the end of this month, I have to paint this entire building in two days. Thankfully it’s been a weekend, and I’ve been able to put aside some time for my Mordheim Dice Tower. I have run into only a few small problems, but none were conquerable. Here are the pictures of today’s progress:
I painted all of the cement and debris with the same Dry Brushing Cement system I used on my last building (which I ended up using on the window bars as well). I chose to do a bright, barn red for the walls.
Final pictures are on the way,
The construction of my Mordheim Dice tower is very close to done. I have created the Window Frames for all of the windows:
To create the thin sections of wood, I cut a ~2cm section of Popsicle stick, and then cut it lengthwise with a razor blade. I tried to cut it as thin as possible. This allowed me to create endless pieces of wood that were all the exact same width when I turned them sideways.
My next project was to create the sign that will hang over the front door:
I’m looking at calling this place “Ed’s Lodging” or “Motel 3” or something having to do with Lodging. Let me know if you have any ideas. (You got like 24 hours to tell me;))
More very very soon,
I have added some fallen debris to the Mordheim roof. The idea is that when the comet crashed into the city, either the quaking earth or a shard of the comet caused the top section of the tower to collapse. Some of the rubble broke holes in the roof below, while some of the smaller pieces ended up staying on the roof. The rubble also doubles as places for models to sand on.
I put down a layer of water glue in the dice catcher/courtyard area, and poured some of my “Camp Cherry Valley” beach sand on it. I think it came out really well. Now I just need a good thick layer of paint to keep the sand in place. I really want to add some rubble to this area, but I don’t want to give the dice a possibility of not landing flat, so it’s got to be boring and flat.
Here’s a picture of the what’s left of the Dice Tower’s Roof.
As the month is coming to a close, I’m running out of time to finish my Dice tower. So I don’t even have enough time to write a good description. Here’s a picture blog of what I did tonight on my Dice Tower:
More on the way. I got 5 days to finish making this and paint it…
This is a quick update because I only have done a couple very simple things:
My next step will be to add the roof tiles, and then rubble to the roof. I hope to add enough rubble to the roof to allow models to safely stand on top of it.
I’m building this dice tower for a Terragenesis Competition which is ending in 12 days! I better hop to it, and finish up this roof pretty soon.
More to come soon,