(That is the question…)
I’ve been toying with the idea of adding bases to my buildings. I am almost ready to add a coat of paint to my first Mordheim Building, and I need to decide whether or not I want to add a base to it. Here’s a picture of a Mordheim building with a base, and you can click on the link to my first Mordheim Building above to see a building without a base.
The Pros of adding a base to your Mordheim building:
- When a building has a base, it is much easier to add debris and trash to the floor around the building.
- It also adds a lot of stability to your building. It is much easier to keep your building from falling over from the weight of your Mordheim Models.
- You can use them to add hills and elevation to your Mordheim Board. I can guarantee the City of the Damned is not totally flat.
The Cons of adding a base to your building:
- You get that annoying lip around the edge of the base that can distract from.
- The base can easily end up as a different color than the board you are playing on. (Use a friends board, make a new one, etc.) I’m trying to build these buildings for aesthetics, this will cause them to look very ugly. Here’s an example of Mordheim bases looking ugly.
- Buildings with bases cannot be placed very close together, so if you are playing the “Street Fight” scenario, you will have trouble making a wall of buildings.
Can you think of any other Pros or Cons? I’ll try to update this list.
I think I will end up adding small bases to some of my buildings, but I’ll have to work on camouflaging the bases really well, and I’ll probably need to put together a board first. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial about how to create a Games Workshop or Mordheim Board (with the sand on it)?
UPDATE: For a more detailed post on this subject check out my newer post: Adding Bases to Terrain.