It’s been almost a week since I created Mordheim Stone Wall v1.0, and I have finally gotten around to creating the next version. (Thank you for all your ideas.)
Here’s what I did:
First I grabbed the worst piece of Styrofoam I could find to become my test piece for my Mordheim Stone Wall v2.0. It just happened to be a little over 3.5″ tall, so it was a perfect height. (Here’s a picture with my newly-painted Orc Archer.)
Next, I covered the entire surface with a pretty thick layer of Spackle.
Then I painted it a dark gray. My last wall was painted black, but I think this contrasted too much.
Now that was has been prepared for the stonework, I got the stones ready. I painted up a piece of card stock with a layer of light grey, and then added some light and dark speckling to give it texture. I did the speckles by getting a small amount of paint on the end of a brush, wiping off some more, and then dabbing the paper with it.
Then I cut it up into strips. I wanted to make sure the stones would fit together nicely, so I made sure every strip was measured to be an even cm or 1/2 cm. (I cut one 2cm, two 1.5cm, three 1cm and 1 .5cm strips) This made the stones fit together pretty nicely, as two 1cm stones were as tall as a 2cm stone… duh.
Then came the longest part of this entire test. (It took way to be workable… so I’m going to have to use larger stones to speed it up.) I cut the stones up, clipped the corners, and glued them to the wall. Then I highlighted the tops of the rocks with watered-down paint and added some more speckles.
As you can see, I spaced out the stones on the right hand side as another test, and I think I like the spacing on the right. The left, although more realistic, doesn’t look as good to me, and takes much longer to do.
I think I’m going to be doing another Stone Wall as I haven’t created a process that is fast enough for my liking.